[thelist] CSS question..

rabbit at poorrabbit.com rabbit at poorrabbit.com
Tue Oct 8 16:08:01 CDT 2002

I'm finally working towards using CSS for my layout instead of
table based layouts, and I've run across something I can't figure out.

According to the CSS2 spec, the "position: fixed;" setting will cause
an element uses that class to stay put, period. If you stick something
on the top right of the screen, it stays there, even when scrolling.

for example:

DIV.foo {       right: 50px;
        top: 10px;
        position: fixed;
        color: black;
        width: 100px;
        }

If you look at: http://www.truthmagnet.com/v2/test.php in MOZILLA
(at least in v1.1, or in the latest opera) you can see this behavior.

The "HELLO" on the top right of the screen will stay put even if you
scroll - you may have to shrink your window to see this effect.

In explorer, this completely fails to work. In explorer, the Hello
appears on the top left, and appears to be behaving as though
position was set to "relative", which I THINK is the default.

I've tried looking for alternate way of doing this with explorer, or
even a way of convincing explorer to at least put stuff where it
belongs, so that even if it doesn't stay put, it at least gets there
to begin with, such that in mozilla it behaves as I wish, and that in
explorer it will degrade gracefully - without having to use browser
checking code.

so much for "coding to standards".

any ideas?

  Jon Cortmaior | poor rabbit consulting | unix geek | web monkey
"The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man
 who cannot read them."  -- Mark Twain