[thelist] MS SQL DB hand over

Anthony Baratta Anthony at Baratta.com
Tue Oct 8 16:26:00 CDT 2002

At 12:17 PM 10/8/2002, Adam Slesinger wrote:
>Hi Anthony,
>
>I did just that - created a full database backup with the Enterprise
>Manager.  The client didn't know what to do with it because I created a file
>with no extension.  My fear was that since they never created the DB on
>their server, the Restore option in Enterprise Manager wouldn't display the
>backup to use.  When I did a test restore overhere, you had to select what
>database you wanted to display backups for, and I assumed they wouldn't have
>that database to choose from since it never existed on their end...  what
>are your thoughts on that?

File extensions are arbitrary, first just rename the file with a .bak. Then
via EM create a new DB, highlight it and select restore. Under General Tab
select "from device" (find the back file), then under Options Tab, Change
the "Move to Physical file name" to the new DB file names.

Piece of pie.
---
Anthony Baratta
President