[thelist] IIS5: combining to boxen into one.

Chris W. Parker cparker at swatgear.com
Tue Oct 8 16:57:01 CDT 2002

hi.

some of you may remember me asking this question before, however i'm
asking it again because i have yet to get it solved. i think all the
credit for that should go to the periodic high volume on the list
subsequently causing my email to get lost.

i would like to take two boxes and combine them into one. each box
supports one website. we'll call them www.siteA.com and www.siteB.com. i
would like to move www.siteA.com to www.siteB.com 's box.

we use NAT. so...

www.siteA.com has an internal IP address of 10.0.0.5 and...
www.siteB.com has an internal IP address of 10.0.0.3.

what i was told to do (which for some reason didn't work [i blame that
on user error and not bad instruction]) was to follow these steps...

1. shutdown www.siteA.com 's box.
2. add www.siteA.com 's IP address to the Network Properties of the NIC
on www.siteB.com (i imagine that this of course would cause any traffic
for 10.0.0.5 and 10.0.0.3 to be directed to the same NIC.)
3. open IIS and add two host headers to the properties of www.siteB.com
  3a. www.siteB.com
  3b. siteB.com
4. voila. you're done. it should work.

but it doesn't. anything i'm doing wrong? or not waiting long enough? or
should i reboot? i mean, i'm using win2k and they don't usually have a
problem with changing IP addresses even while operating. but maybe this
is different?

i even tried stopping and starting the website, but that didn't do
anything either.

i would really appreciate any help i could get on this.

thanks,
chris.

p.s. are there any good lists like this that are centered on network
administration? i have so many questions that i'd like to ask, but i
just don't have any tips and i don't want people to hate me.