[thelist] css quirks in AOL?

Bruce Wilbur thelist at brucew.com
Wed Oct 9 07:42:01 CDT 2002

janice wrote:

>so perhaps you could take a look at the following:
>
>http://averra.com/pages/about.htm
>
>I haven't looked at the site on AOL on Windows yet, but on v5 on the Mac,
>does not behave well at all! Could someone let me know if this same
>phenomenon is happening on Windows?
>
>Does anyone have a solution for this issue???

I wrestled with that same beastie last month.  As it turns out, it's not
the fault of AOL per se, but rather, the bastard child of Jobs and
Gates, IE 4.5 for the Mac.  Changing visibility on my client's pages
resulted in IE 4.5 (and by extension, AOL on Macs with it) completely
eliminating the upper half of the page.

Altering some code helped--the upper part of the page came back, is
readable and usable, but the layout is all messed up.  I was unable to
achieve a technical solution.

After consulting the site logs for the past three months, I showed the
client that in an average of 5,000 unique IPs per month (not the busiest
of sites, to be sure), only one visitor other than the client himself,
used IE 4.5 for the Mac.  After demonstrating on his secretary's Mac,
(AOL5 Mac and IE5 Mac), I did not correct his logic when he said, "One
in 15,000?  I guess I can live with that."

And we upgraded his browser. (Note: AOL5 is still newest supported
version on certain older versions of MacOS.)

A few days later he told me, "No wonder everything always looked weird
when I went online at the office. I thought it was my Mac."

Probably not the answer you're looking for, but it worked for my client,
and it suits me.

Yours,