[thelist] Client wants to update page content

Michael Mell mike at nthwave.net
Wed Oct 9 11:25:15 CDT 2002

I recommend my own CMS solution:
http://www.nthwave.net/elements/
Your client would need to install Python, and the Elements module, both free of
charge.
You, the developer would need to convert the editable pages to use one or more
templates, and pull the editable content out of the template. The editable
content usually looks like regular word processing text with just a few bits of
html and elements code where necessary.
The client will edit the content, and after running the Elements process with
the click of a button, upload the new pages to the site.

It's the easiest way I know to isolate content from code.

I'm currently debugging a server version which allows the source files to
reside on the server, and new site iterations to be built right on the server.

I'll be happy to help you with installation and the creation of templates.

Richard McFarland wrote:

> Hello, all.
>
> I recently developed a site for a restaurant:
>
> http://www.nellsrestaurant.com
>
> The owner/chef is eager to be able to update various pages (such as menu)
> himself. He is not very tech-savvy, but doesn't want to have to pay me
> forever to update frequently-changing data.
>
> I know there are a myriad of server-side solutions for this, but there is no
> budget right now for developing any of them. One suggestion that has been
> made is to install a WYWIWYG html editor on his machine, teach him how to
> get the pages he wants to edit via FTP, and then re-put them when he's done.
> Of course, he could always edit the html file itself in a text editor but
> that make me pretty nervous, given his knowledge level.
>
> I've also run across a couple of web-based content editors (WebEdit and
> editace, for example). Anyone had any experience with this sort of thing?
>
> richard
> --
> Richard McFarland (rlmcfarland at attbi.com)
> 206-378-6942
>
> --"The more you learn, the more there is to learn."--
>
> --

mike[at]nthwave.net