[thelist] Who is this guy?

Marc Seyon seyon at delime.com
Wed Oct 9 15:42:02 CDT 2002

Message from Hershel Robinson (10/9/2002 02:19 PM)
>One of clients, a brand new one, told me I should really read Philip
>Greenspun's site, in particular his Guide to Web Publishing:
>http://philip.greenspun.com/panda/
>
>Anybody know about this guy and his site?  It appears he may be a professor
>and possibly actually a real expert on the web.  I'm just wondering what's
>inside his side--it's apparently actually a book turned into HTML pages.  It
>looks like a lot to read.  Am I really going to be enlightened?

If the client is worth anything significant to you, you should at least
read it in passing. Aside from the fact you will probably pick up some
useful knowledge, you'll be able to employ a version of name-dropping when
communicating with your client.

"We should be doing something similar to what Greenspun described in
chapter Z." Or "I agree with Greenspun's method of accomplishing X."
Doesn't matter whether you knew this stuff already or not.

Your client thinks this person is credible, and so long as he's not a total
charlatan, which he doesn't appear to be, you can use that to your advantage.

regards.
-marc