[thelist] [Usability] Cancel button in forms (typically CMS related)

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Sat Oct 12 11:06:01 CDT 2002

> From: Michael Kimsal <michael at tapinternet.com>
[...]
> reasons you described above.  What we don't do, and what I have
> thought are stupid buttons since 1996 are the form 'reset' buttons.
> They're usually right next to 'submit', and don't ask for
> confirmation, they just delete everything you've put in to the form.

'reset' buttons are supposed to return the form to the original state
it was in when the page was loaded -- which means if you loaded a
page with a form that was pre-filled, it would return to those values
in the fields...

> I wonder how many sales have been lost due to stupidly placed 'RESET'
> buttons.

or cancel buttons...

cancel buttons being more dangerous since they often don't come with
a confirm, and have too little dead space between them and the submit
button...

and with developers not consistently placing them from app to app,
users may try to click the first button (your cancel button) because
on their favorite site, the submit button is the first button...

er...

--
Read the evolt.org case study
Usability: The Site Speaks for Itself