[thelist] CSS bug? can't find it

s t e f notabene at members.evolt.org
Sat Oct 12 14:20:01 CDT 2002

Hi all,

I've somehow revamped my site, yes it doesn't validate, I know all that,
it's only a temporary revamp, but I stumbled upon a CSS problem that I
can't seem to fix.

The other day one of our fellow listers told us about www.ey.nl and how he
achieves multi-columning in a nice and quite complex layout with CSS.

So here on http://www.nota-bene.org/

I did a simple two-columns-within-the-body layout, and for some reason IE
(5.5 and 6 on win98) doesn't manage to display the 2 columns side-by-side.

It's as if the columns don't have enough room so they're floated one on top
of the other rather than side-by-side. Stranger: it works in NN6.2.1 and
Moz1.0.

Here is the CSS:

The main body:
#mainBody {margin-left:250px; margin-right:200px; }
(fairly simple, eh?)

The two columns:
div.colonne { width:45%; padding:0px 10px 0px 10px; float:left; }
(yeah, that's french for column ;-))

So. 45%+45% adds up to 90%, which is less than 100% of the container, right?

I feel that maybe IE interprets those percents as relative to the viewport,
and Moz and NS consider those percents as relative to the container
(#mainBody).

Your opinion is most welcome as I am stuck.

s t e f
http://nota-bene.org