[thelist] How to prevent web site piracy & copyright infringe ment?

s t e f notabene at members.evolt.org
Sat Oct 12 15:09:01 CDT 2002

<who="Joel Canfield" when="09:56 12/10/02 -0700">
>If we're going to dream, instead of dreaming about how we prevent theft,
>let's dream about a world where no one would even consider it . . .

+1

There's a simple thing to remember: Amaya, w3c's browser, is not only a
VIEWER but an EDITING TOOL as well, meaning that the origins of the web
were about collaboration, not wide-audience-heavy-design-sites that we have
today[1]. I can't remember where I read it but it makes sense and explains
why all the sources can be read.

Some people on my intranet tweak all link like such:
- onclick, fill a form via javascript
- submit the form

Submitted pages can't be read in Netscape. Isn't that great? ;-)
In IE of course the source is always visible, and that's great for _my_
debugging :-)

IMHO it's more a side effect of sloppy web coding and understanding of the
media on the part of the developers who did said sites, than a real
decision to make the sources unreadable.

Anyway.
If you don't want your web site to be copied don't show it.

Imagine me looking at your site through a technology that wouldn't allow me
to steal it. What prevents me from redoing it on my Photoshop? Plagiarism
is happening all the time, welcome to the real world, and no offense meant.

s t e f
http://nota-bene.org

[1] Not that I'm complaining, mind you, otherwise I would never have been
able to enter this field.