[thelist] Character Encoding Mismatch

Morgan Kelsey morgan at morgankelsey.com
Sun Oct 13 10:17:01 CDT 2002

rudy,

.jeff covered most of it....i only got a couple of things to add:

> if i code one, and use cfcontent, will i get two?
>
> (yeah, i know i can test this myself, but maybe you can save me the agro)

the cfcontent doesn't create a meta tag.
agro saved by nagro.
:p

> okay, i'll bite, and my questions aren't just directed at you, morgan
>
> what's the diff, and why would i want to use utf-8?
>
> the w3c says i should be using ISO 10646
>
> what's browser support for utf-8 like?  i've had no problems with ISO 8859

Beyond the fact that utf-8 supports more special characters, utf-8 is also
the only unicode set that contains a backwards-compatible-unix-safe ascii
set (also part of ISO-8859-1). So if unicode AND backward compatible
unix-ascii are required by your site, utf-8 is for you.

i don't know about browser support....i imagine in IE it falls into the
"language pack" arena

> and here's a real challenge --
>
> every time i go visit aardvark's article http://evolt.org/entities my
> browser (ie5) pops up an alert that says....
[....]

no clue...but it hasn't happened to me?
i have IE6 on my laptop. i'll check it out on IE 5.5 at work on monday.

nagrom