[thelist] Preventing right-clicking on a page?

Tim Parkin tim at pollenation.net
Mon Oct 14 11:33:00 CDT 2002

<snip>
I've seen this before, mainly on Warez sites and such...But, I was
wondering if anyone could help me out in telling me where I could find
some code that prevents right-clicking on a page.  Usually, a message
pops up letting the user know that they can't right-click.

If I can't do it for the entire page, I'd like to at least do it for an
image.  Suggestions?
</snip>

How about creating an image that is a view of your design at 12.5
degrees from vertical?

This would mean they couldn't reconstruct a pixel perfect representation
of your design and so would be fairly useless to them.

You could also try increasing the size of your image by 11.348% (or some
other random number) which would then destroy the pixel perfection.

Or how about wrapping it over a small curvature so that all of the lines
are not straight?

Possible alternatives to this are colour shifting by 2% reducing the
colour depth, adding noise to the image.

All of these techniques can add enough 'noise' to an image to destory
any chance of reconstructing it digitally whilst communicating the
ideas.

I would recommend a random scale up of the order of 25% plus the
rotation by 20-30 degrees.

Tim Parkin
Pollenation Internet Ltd