[thelist] VBS Scheduler

Anthony Baratta Anthony at Baratta.com
Mon Oct 14 15:53:01 CDT 2002

At 12:04 PM 10/14/2002, Joshua Olson wrote:

>You've piqued my curiosity.  What sort of issues have you encountered with
>the AT service?  Do the same issues arrise in Windows 2k that arise in NT?
>What sort of features is that AT service missing that the 3rd party options
>offer?

The AT Service barely does what I need it to do most of the time. If you
want a program or script to run once a day, great. If you want multiple
times a day, differing by day - you are screwed. Heck even setting up a
hourly cron job would require 24 entries in the AT scheduler for NT!! The
Win2K Scheduler Service is much much better. And with all the instability
issues with NT 4.0 (my NT boxes are up a fraction of the time my Win2K
boxes are - but the Win2K boxes are up a fraction of the time my Linux
boxes are), I recommend ditching 4.0 and moving to Win2K as soon as you
can, if not sooner.

I only have 2 boxes left that I support that have NT 4.0 on them and I hope
to have them dead and buried by the end of the year if not sooner.

If you can't ditch NT, there are good 3-rd party tools like Windows
Scheduler that help NT become more bearable.

--
Anthony Baratta
President