[thelist] CF: Clearing a cached query?

Morgan Kelsey morgan at morgankelsey.com
Tue Oct 15 13:39:01 CDT 2002

joshua,

> > i used to "include the design" into my applications, so each page in the
> > site would either use a custom tag for a wrapper, or include common
> headers,
> > footers and sidebars, etc. then one day it dawned on me (well, someone
> > whacked me on the head with a hammer really):
> > it should be the other way around.
> > include your apps into your design. you should have one design template,
> > that contains all the common html. in the center of that, include your
> > page-specific applications.
> >
> > think about it, its slightly different from the usual way of thinking.
>
> Can you say, fusebox?  What happens, nagrom, when the content drives
changes
> in the container?  For example, lets say that there is supposed to be an
> advertiser at the top of the page, but the advertiser is paying for
display
> only with articles from a specific section of the site?  Using the basic
> design template model, this sort of scenario starts to break down and all
> sorts of hacks get employed to make it work.  I have a huge amount of
> experience with this methodology and I got disenchanted as the system grew
> unmanagable and unlearnable to new people.

yes, the methodology is similiar to fusebox, but avoids the ugly urls,
custom tags, etc.

but i don't really follow your example. the url is what drives the content.
any business logic the design template depends on simply gets handled in
application.cfm, before the design template executes.

> > works excellent with a custom 404 handler too....
your error handler generates parameters, and includes the design
> container.
> > then, the middle of the design container (where most page specific
content
> > is), chooses which app to run based on the parameters produced by the
> error handler.
> > make sense? you'll end up including your includes less, if that makes
sense.

> I think evolt was built like this, was it not?

yes, i believe so.

nagrom