[thelist] Sending out mail from the webserver

Means, Eric D eric.d.means at boeing.com
Tue Oct 15 17:11:00 CDT 2002

-----Original Message-----
From: Jason Lustig [mailto:lustig at buffalo.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, October 15, 2002 4:14 PM
To: thelist at lists.evolt.org
Subject: [thelist] Sending out mail from the webserver

> Now, I know how to pull everything out of the database and whatnot, but
> what I can't seem to figure out is how to set up the server so that
> it'll execute this script once a week. I'm currently on IIS, and I can
> use either ASP or PHP... anyone have any ideas on how to get this to run
> automatically?

With PHP you can just pass the location of the script to the PHP.exe
interpreter like so:
C:\PHP\php.exe D:\inetpub\wwwroot\birthdays\send_birthday_mail.php

(Use the actual location of the PHP.exe interpreter.)  Of course, none of
the usual $_POST or $_GET vars will be accessible this way, but the script
will execute.

Create a scheduled task on the server and set the command line to the above,
and set it to execute once a week.  Voila.