[thelist] Netscape Bugginess

Stephen Caudill SCaudill at municode.com
Tue Oct 15 17:52:00 CDT 2002

Thanks Jeff for the very good advice.

Im still a newbie to dynamic pages (including JavaScript), so I hope you won't slap me too hard... It is important to me to design accessible pages though, so I do appreciate the tip (you should take a look at http://www.municode.com and see the legacy code I'm converting and you might redirect your slapping hand).  I dont understand the doubling up on the way you reference the values through the DOM, though.  Mebbe its in the links you sent me.  Gotta nip off to school, so It'll be tomorrow before I get to implement this stuff.  Thanks to Peter as well.

'Night All,
Stephen

change:

document.codeselect.stateselect.value

to (all on one line):

document.codeselect.stateselect.options[document.codeselect.stateselect.selectedIndex].value;

second, put some server-side script in place to handle the form for users with javascript enabled.  perhaps it'd be as simple as making the action the same as your "loca" variable and setting the form method to "get".  put a target on the <form> tag so it'll put the results in a new window.  for javascript users, simply pop a window upon submit with the same name as the target attribute value.  now everyone's happy cause they can access the information.

third, <map> tags belong in the <head> of the document and nowhere else.

fourth, i could just slap you for doing this:

href="javascript:void(0)" onClick="window.open(loca+'5', 'newwindow', props)"

ok, i don't actually wanna slap you, but i'm sure there are some blind users or non-javascript users who wouldn't mind.  you're castrating this functionality unnecessarily.  try something like this instead:

href="http://livepublish.municode.com/LivePublish/statelist.asp?state=5"
onclick="window.open(this.href, 'newwindow', props); return false"

finally, give these two articles a read:

Links & JavaScript Living Together in Harmony
http://evolt.org/article/thelist/17/20938/

Forms & JavaScript Living Together in Harmony
http://evolt.org/article/thelist/17/28553/