[thelist] Technology change

Matt MacLeod mattmacleod12 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Oct 17 04:43:01 CDT 2002

Hi,

I work for a company with a site at www.bigbarn.co.uk. The website has a mapping function whereby the user enters their postcode/zipcode and are presented with a map of their area with icons to display various bits of information.

At the moment the site is built with ASP and an Access database. Originally this was fine - traffic was low and the database held a relatively small amount of data.

Now, however, the site is building, traffic is increasing and I am aware that Access is no longer suitable for the job.

I have been thinking about changing the site to a php/mysql backend but I am relatively unsure about the pros and cons of this. Would any other technology be suitable eg: ColdFusion?

Any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Matt MacLeod

Portfolio at http://mattneedsajob.tripod.com
Tel: +44 (0)1480 812034
Email: mattmacleod12 at yahoo.co.uk