[thelist] "embedding crap HTML"

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 17 10:53:01 CDT 2002

> From: "Clive R Sweeney" <clive at designshift.com>
>
> Reading posts from last weekend, I noticed in a message from aardvark
> - and I'm taking this out of context - the comment "i helped build the
> CMS, and coded all the pages, and ensured people weren't embedding
> crap HTML into their content..."

hmmm... vague recall here...

> What steps does one take to ensure people aren't "embedding crap HTML
> into their content..."? I was part of a recent site redesign that
> included a fairly basic CMS and I know this is a significant issue. If
> you have a few dozen people authorized to edit content in assigned
> pages throughout the site, how do you keep them from adding their own
> "special touches" that may contradict both the style guide established
> for the site and valid markup?
[...]

we make the WYSIWYG only allow certain tags, and we enforce
the style guide... we also make them take a two-step through
notepad from Word to clear any MS formatting...

of course, all this requires policing... for instance, if you have an
approval step in your CMS, make sure the person who approves it
(possibly you) runs it through a validator, or looks at the code...

but otherwise, this is a very manual process governed by how anal-
retentive you are and how much time you have to devote to this
sort of stuff...

--
Read the evolt.org case study
Usability: The Site Speaks for Itself