[thelist] design "index of"

Bruce Wilbur thelist at brucew.com
Fri Oct 18 20:23:01 CDT 2002

john-paul wrote:

>Is there a way to style/design the "web directory index" for a domain?
>
>You know, the default layout you get when you point a browser to a directory
>that has no index page...? can that be designed somehow?
>
>this is the kind of thing I'm talking about (sorry if I'm not making sense):
>http://www.mmodule.com/features/photos/

Yes, to a limited extent.  I haven't had an excuse to do it so, I've not
done it myself.  I can't be much help beyond this.

Apache's FancyIndexing directive is documented here:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_autoindex.html#fancyindexing

And I found a reference to "a set of utilities and scripts built around
the Apache fancyIndex funtions" here:
http://httpd.apache.org/related_projects.html#kshIndex

It's also covered in O'Reilly's "Apache - The Definitive Guide" and
alledgedly there are some examples on the included CD.

HTH!