[thelist] MySQL export for non-technical client

Liam Delahunty ldelahunty at britstream.com
Sat Oct 19 16:01:01 CDT 2002

Joel Canfield wrote:
>What's the simplest way for a non-technical client to obtain the contents
of
>a MySQL database?

Best is mysqldump. http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/mysqldump.html but may be too
technical.

>The only option I can see is screen scraping, since they
>can display the entire contents on a web page.

You could output the contents into a table (as in HTML rather than DB). Then
when you cut and paste the results from IE into excel it will retain the
columns. Obviously this is only really useful if the original data is just
one table.

>Environment notes: the site and db are hosted on a Unix box, and the only
>access is via SSH. The client will need the final product in a Windows
>friendly format, probably Access or Excel.

Kind regards,
Liam