[thelist] MySQL export for non-technical client

John Handelaar john at evolt.org.uk
Sun Oct 20 18:13:00 CDT 2002

% -----Original Message-----
% From: thelist-admin at lists.evolt.org
% [mailto:thelist-admin at lists.evolt.org]On Behalf Of Joel Canfield
% Sent: 20 October 2002 18:22
% To: 'thelist at lists.evolt.org'
% Subject: RE: [thelist] MySQL export for non-technical client
%
% Any chance you could save me some troubleshooting time? I keep getting the
% error "Lost connection to MySQL server during query" I suspect it's an
% authentication issue, but I can't see how to fix it.
%
% Doin it manually, I first create the connection to the server
% with PuTTY on
% port 22 (I note you specifically mention port 3306, which
% wouldn't be an SSH
% connection, would it?) using the server username and password.

No, slightly less than obvious (sorry)...

Wherever the client machine is, you need to enable read
access from that IP block, for the user attempting the access,
to the database in question. To do that you'll (once) need to
use the mysql client over SSH.  And after changing permissions
in this way you need to run

mysqladmin [-uuser] [-ppassword] flush-privileges

to make those changes take hold.  Or restart MySQL.

Providing that the server doesn't block port 3306 (which is
MySQL's port), you should then be able to use any MySQL client
from the location necessary, including in this case Access
if properly modified (which it sounds like you've done).

Generally, I'd recommend Mascon (scibit.com) for this kinda
thing, but you wanted a client-friendly thing so I figured
it was more likely they'd be familiar with Access.

k?

John Handelaar

T +44 20 8933 1494       M +44 7930 681789
F +44 870 169 7657   E john at userfrenzy.com