[thelist] Quicktime movie in IE & NS

noah noah at tookish.net
Mon Oct 21 18:52:00 CDT 2002

I'm sure that the answer to this question is on the Web, but I haven't been
able to find it.

I have a Quicktime movie (.mov) that I've recently added to a site. When I
click on the link to the movie in Opera, I get a download prompt box, and
if I choose "Open the file with QuickTimePlayer.exe" -- the file then
downloads and opens up in the standalone Quicktime player. During the time
it takes the file to download, I can continue using the browser to do other
stuff.

In both IE (5.5) and NS (7) (both Windows), clicking on the link takes me
to a new page with the Quicktime icon in the middle of it -- the file then
downloads in its entirety and plays inside the page -- it takes some time
before it starts to play (the movie is 10 megs), during which time the
browser is monopolised -- I can't continue to browse the site while waiting
for the movie to load.

I can add  <onclick="window.open(this.href); return false"> to the link to
the movie and have it open up in a new window in IE and NS, but this opens
a useless window in Opera, and relegates the rest of the site to the
background in other browsers. What I'd really like is for IE and NS to
download the movie in the background and open the standalone Quicktime
player to show it when it's ready, the way that Opera does. Is there anyway
to do this?

In case it's relevant, the site is running on Apache, and my mime.types
file has the following line:

video/quicktime			qt mov

Thanks,
Noah