[thelist] Webhosting / Port Forwarding

mpember at phreaker.net mpember at phreaker.net
Tue Oct 22 02:01:01 CDT 2002

I currently use a old PC at home to operate my own server setup.  I mainly use it for testing personal projects.  For this reason, my setup changes regularly.

I add / remove subdomains depending on which side of the bed I got out of :)

For this reason, I am looking for a service that simply allows me to forward all http requests from one server to another.  My ISP blocks all port 80 requests and I am looking for a proxy that will allow me to continue to host my setup at home, while having the requests portfowarded from an external IP to get around port 80.

My verbal description may be a bit hard to follow, so here's a picture

Client -> Proxy:80 (port forwarder) -> ME:81 -> Client

Is there anyone out there that offers such a service.  I have seen a similar service running with some Dynamic IP DNS setups, but normally they just handle the request on their own server and generate a frameset that points to the required port.  This causes problems with some of my Java code that can't make sense of the request if it is on a port other than 80.

Thanks for any help that you guys can offer.
----
Michael Pemberton
mpember at phreaker.net