[thelist] DSL vs. Cable

Adam Squier lists at asquier.com
Tue Oct 22 08:38:00 CDT 2002

On 10/22/02 8:50 AM, matt s. at mspiegler at lightbulbpress.com wrote:

> Has anyone here been on DSL and made the switch to Cable Modem?
> Specifically, Verizon DSL -> RoadRunner, and more specifically, in NYC,
> but any general experiences would also be of interest. I'm having
> constant problems with Verizon DSL and getting nowhere near the speeds
> I'm supposed to, but I'm wondering if RoadRunner will be any better.

When we moved in with my Mother-in-law (don't ask) she was on DSL. Fine, I
thought. I would just hook up the Airport, configured it, and away I would
go. Unfortunately, I couldn't get a connection. Well, sometimes I could. It
was intermittent, but with her PC connected by itself, it worked fine.

I even went and bought another Wireless router (linksys) but still had the
same problems. Thought the DSL company (Ameritech) had blocked routers
(couldn't figure out how they would do that, but hey). No, they didn't.
Hmmm. Tried and tried. Still couldn't get it to work. Finally, after
spending most of two weeks, we decided to just bite the bullet and get
Roadrunner installed.

Aside from an installation issue (on Time-Warner's part), everything has
worked like a dream since then. My Mother-in-law is still using her DSL
connection as she likes it. I didn't like the idea of a dial-up connection.

So, my experience is that Cable wins hands down. YMMV.

--Adam