[thelist] % of browsers with no scripting

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 22 23:32:00 CDT 2002

> From: "Virginia O'Dine" <vodine at direct.ca>
[...]
> Where can we find out what percentage of browsers do not allow or do
> not use any type of scripting at all? I understand I can make a
> website accessible by providing plain text options, but what about
> usability - ie a shopping cart? Is there supposed to be a way I'm to
> provide this to all these other browsers also?

ideally, your e-commerce application shouldn't rely on client-side
scripting in order to work... i say this because i've been building
them for years without ever needing to *rely* on script...

sure, you can add it in to help improve the user experience, but it
shouldn't be required in order to use a site (despite what the Honda
Finance site seems to think)...

also, you don't *need* to provide plaintext options to make a site
accessible, and that alone won't do it... a well-coded site can be
accessible without having to maintain alternate templates...

as for browsers that don't support scripting, it kinda depends on
what level of support... and if you want to count users with it
disabled (like some intranets i've seen, or my IE5.5 install)...

--
Read the evolt.org case study
Usability: The Site Speaks for Itself