[thelist] Re: DSL vs. Cable

matt s. mspiegler at lightbulbpress.com
Thu Oct 24 08:02:00 CDT 2002

William Kolean wrote:

> I had Verizon DSL in NYC and like you I wasn't getting very good speeds -
> plus I hated using PPPoE instead of an ethernet connection. I went with DSL
> because supposedly you get a dedicated connection whereas cable is pooled,
> but now I hear that sometimes DSL is pooled as well, and after my experience
> with Verizon, I believe it.

Interesting. I've noticed slowdowns around peak usage times, and lightning
speeds in the middle of the night, which would make sense if they were pooling.
On some of the speed tests around 8pm I was getting only slightly better than
56k, which definitely is not what I'm paying for.

> It took Verizon 4 months to finally shut off my DSL after I canceled, and
> they billed me the entire time, so be prepared for some hassle if you do
> decide to switch.

No surprise there, but thanks for the warning.

.matt