[thelist] [HTML] current coding practices

Chris W. Parker cparker at swatgear.com
Thu Oct 24 11:28:01 CDT 2002

[snip /]

> So, how could i improve this type of website...

[snip /]

> Below are the results of attempting to parse this document
> with an SGML
> parser.
>
> *    Line 36, column 47:
>
>   <frameset rows="*,440,*" cols="*,780,*" border="0">
>                                                  ^
>
> Error: there is no attribute "BORDER" for this element (in this HTML
> version)

i didn't go to the website to verify this, but since the parser even
attempted to validate that means you either manually overrode the
doctype or properly added one to your document.

to make a long story short and to paraphrase what the parser said, you
can't have the "border" attribute in a <frameset> tag. therefore if you
want the error to go away, remove the attribute and put it in CSS.

> *    Line 47, column 9:
>
>   <noframes><body>insert our no frames content including
> links for searc ...
>            ^
>
> Error: element "NOFRAMES" not allowed here; check which elements this
> element may be contained within

use this link to "check which elements this element may be contained
within."

http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/present/frames.html

hope that helps.
chris.