[thelist] XHTML Valid Jump Menu

Frank framar at interlog.com
Thu Oct 24 13:43:01 CDT 2002

At 01:20 PM 10/24/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>Using JavaScript is a /reasonable/ alternative to offer form
>functionality. And specifying action="#" allows a page to validate --
>and it doesn't use the javascript: pseudo protocol. Besides, its shorter
>than including the page URL, and adding a "return false" to the script.

Seeing as I am playing the devil, let alone his advocate, I'd like to add
to your post. Jeff is indeed correct that it's not a 'proper' procedure.
I'm usually as fervent as he is where sticking to standards comes into play.

 > specifying action="#" allows a page to validate

Yes. But what is the purpose of validating code structure with inaccessible
behaviours, when the point of having valid code is to ensure that it's as
accessible to as many devices as will adopt the W3C standards?

I agree with you that ideology is a fine thing, and that in the real world,
that it's sometimes necessary to override ideology with pragmatism.  The
Kludge: It's a bit like using a hammer and a screw but when one is trying
to keep the wolves at bay, it might be a perfectly acceptable short-term
option.

To paraphrase David K. Every, "The first rule of engineering is that
everything is a trade-off"

--
Frank Marion <frank at frankmarion.com>      Tel: 416 825 7488