[thelist] RSS Newbie

Lachlan Cannon luminosity at members.evolt.org
Fri Oct 25 02:13:01 CDT 2002

Aaron Cole wrote:
> I know I'm probably two years behind the tide, but I've been trying to
> understand RSS over the past few days.  I'm a pretty good HTML coder with
> some experience with ColdFusion and have somewhat of a grasp of XML.
>
> Building an RSS file makes sense to me.  My confusion is with the second
> half.  What do I need to do to allow my webpage to read and display an RSS
> feed?
>
> I'm guessing it has something to do with Perl (which I have no experience
> with), but I'd be grateful to get some insight from others.  Keep in mind
> that I'm more of a front-end developer.  Treat me like a beginner!

I'm not sure what you want here, do you mean you want to read your own
feed on your site or you want to read other people's feeds? If it's the
second you need an aggregator such as amphetadesk
(http://disobey.com/amphetadesk), if it's the first your readers just
need to know ewhere the file is and have a reader to be able to consume
it. Also take a look at
(http://diveintomark.org/archives/2002/05/30.html#rss_autodiscovery) and
(http://diveintomark.org/archives/2002/06/02.html#important_change_to_the_link_tag).

--