[thelist] XHTML Transitional: wrap="virtual" not allowed

MarsHall evolt at MARSorange.com
Sat Oct 26 14:17:00 CDT 2002

On Saturday, October 26, 2002, at 12:04 AM, Sharon F. Malone wrote:

> While running a new page with a form thru the W3C validator yesterday,
> an error was generated to the effect that wrap="virtual" is not
> allowed.
>
> Is there any other way to control wrapping in a textbox?

I believe textarea's wrap attribute was deprecated because the textarea
value is now submitted exactly as the user enters it. I am not aware of
any CSS properties which would have the same effect.

You can always filter server-side for linebreaks (in the script to
which the form submits). Or, use an older HTML doctype (perhaps HTML
3?) that will validate with a textarea wrap attribute.

Mars :)