[thelist] video streaming server questions / recommendations

David Eleuterius snapper at snapperheadstudio.com
Mon Oct 28 11:09:01 CST 2002

Evolters,

I am putting together a proposal for a project and have some questions
regarding video streaming servers and whether a separate server would
be necessary.

First, I'd like hear from anyone who has set up a streaming video
server. What problems were encountered in setting up your server? What
did you go with, and why?

The recommended environment will be LAMP (linux, apache, mysql and
php). The video served comes from multiple webcams.

I expect to only be serving up 50 streams (10 frames a second, 320x240
video) at any one time so would a separate server be justified, or can
I get away with having it all on one box? This site would be the only
thing running on the box, so it won't be in a shared server situation.
I imagine no more than 100 concurrent users at any one time. Most
likely, there would be 30 folks browsing it with 15 checking in on the
video at any given time. I hope this is enough information.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

--
David Eleuterius [Designer // Coder]
Snapperhead Studio (Web | Motion Design)