[thelist] IIS5: subdomains, how to configure

Chris W. Parker cparker at swatgear.com
Mon Oct 28 17:09:01 CST 2002

hi.

i've asked this question probably three times, but have yet to figure it
out. i'm a little closer but still not sure if i'm missing something.

currently there is http://www.mydomain.com/ i want to add
http://dev.mydomain.com/ . i have already added the sub-domain in iis
and pointed it to a directory on the local hd. i also put a index.asp
file in it to make sure it works.

in my previous email i noted that i only wanted this to work internally
and not be reachable from the outside world. i was instructed to modify
my HOSTS file with a line like this...

<ip_address_of_machine>   dev.mydomain.com

i've tried both the external ip address and the internal ip address. we
run our network on a 10.x.x.x ip scheme.

if i am at my workstation (seperate from the website box) and type in
http://dev.mydomain.com/ i am greeted with the equivalent to
http://www.mydomain.com/.

i did a little experiment and modified the HOSTS file of the website box
like so...

127.0.0.1  dev.mydomain.com

which gave the HOSTS two records. all of which looked like...

127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.0.1 dev.mydomain.com

when i try to access http://dev.mydomain.com/ on the website box i am
greeted with the index.asp file i created. (although it should be noted
that even though i have specified a <title></title> in the index.asp
file, the browser says Cannot Find Server/Cannot Find File Specified [i
don't remember exactly which one] in the title bar.)

it looks to me as if what i'm doing is going to take a little more
configuration to work on a remote machine. so my question is...

without external DNS changes and/or changes to our NAT table, will i be
able to remotely (although internally) access http://dev.mydomain.com/
or will i have to be on the local box for that to work?

thanks,
chris.