[thelist] Apache/SSL Question

Anthony Baratta Anthony at Baratta.com
Wed Oct 30 17:28:00 CST 2002

At 02:09 PM 10/30/2002, Buffington, Michael wrote:

>1. Is it possible to set up a secure site (SSL) with Apache using a single
>IP (as well as serving non-secure site).

Yes. I do that with a couple of my Apache servers.

The only problem you run into is when you want to host a second SSL enabled
domain. For each SSL cert, you will need a unique IP address. Any of these
IPs can be shared with other non SSL enabled virtual domains.

>2. If the above is a big fat NO, then how does this sound: Is it possible
>to add a NIC, add an IP, and use Apache to serve the non-secure site on
>the first NIC/IP, and the secure site on the second NIC/IP

This is also possible.

>If the question sounds strange, it is. Normally this is a no brainer for
>me, but I'm used to SSL on IIS, and I'm also used to some luxories I don't
>currently have (like a static IP).

OK - do you or don't you have a static IP? If no, how do you plan on
updating your web server to answer to the changed IP, much less update DNS?
--
Anthony Baratta
President