[thelist] Apache/SSL Question

Buffington, Michael michael.buffington at opbu.xerox.com
Thu Oct 31 15:05:01 CST 2002

I actually used to use zonedit.com myself, but shifted everything over when I began to favor the interface over at namecheap.com. Also, for $8.88 a year, you can't beat the features you get with namecheap.com for domain registration and DNS (if you can, I'd love to know about it).

Also, to all who were helping me solve my SSL dillemma, I hit a snag last night that I just resolved, and thought I'd share my fix:

I used rabbit's (sorry, don't know your real name) stanza:

NameVirtualHost xx.xx.xx.xx
NameVirtualHost xx.xx.xx.xx:443

<VirtualHost xx.xx.xx.xx:443>
ServerName secure.stinkmachine.com
SSLEngine On
SSLCertificateFile conf/ssl/my-server.cert
SSLCertificateKeyFile conf/ssl/my-server.key
DocumentRoot c:/wwwroot/core/stinkmachine/checkout
</VirtualHost>

But, where xx.xx.xx.xx is an IP, I was putting the IP AT&T provided me.

I couldn't get the thing to work, until I read Anthony's clarification, which, while it wasn't the fix, brought something to mind that I hadn't thought of.

My webserver is behind a firewall that sets up a NAT.

I was using the wrong IP. I switched the IP to 192.168.1.101 and everything worked!

Thanks everyone!