[thelist] SSI and .shtml file : get rid of ads

David Dorward evolt at david.us-lot.org
Sun Nov 3 12:18:02 CST 2002

On Sun, Nov 03, 2002 at 12:03:51PM -0500, Ethelist at aol.com wrote:
> - If you use SSI, do you really need to have your file saved as .shtml?

You need to have the file saved with an extension that the server
recognises as one which should be parsed for SSI. On most servers (becuase
most servers are Apache) the default is .shtml. This can be changed, but
you need some level of Admin access (and you can do it in a .htaccess
file if you have permissions).

> - What kind of script he need to use in order to get rid of advertisement?

You would have to consult the company adding the advert. I suspect that
the suggestion was becuase with SSI you only have one page, so the advert,
while still being added to each page, only appears once, becuase there
is only one page being displayed at a time (whereas frames display
multiple pages at once)

> - Would the free ISP support SSI?

Some do. Some don't. RTFM.

http://david.us-lot.org/frames.php has a bunch of relevent links.

--
David Dorward                                   http://david.us-lot.org/
"You cannot rewrite history, not one line."