[thelist] Re: Site Search

Tony Crockford tonyc at boldfish.co.uk
Mon Nov 4 10:45:01 CST 2002

> We are submitting a report for more funding (non-profit site
> for church)
> and as one option wanted to look into better search
> facilities covering
> the whole site.
>
> What would be useful would be some opinions on search solutions
> (relatively low cost) which could be set up remotely (on a shared
> server)
>
> cheers again :Donald

I would heartily recommend Ht:dig as a powerful open source search
engine.  (no cost under GNU licence)

http://www.htdig.org/

Before today I'd not installed it on a shared server, but by persuading
my host to allow me temporary root access to my virtual space I managed
to upload, compile, index and run a test search within an hour and a
half of ftp'ing the gzipped tar  file.

The out of the box search is pretty dull but you can configure almost
all aspects of how to search and how to present the results.

HTH

Tony