[thelist] quick domain/dns records question

Howard Cheng howcheng at ix.netcom.com
Mon Nov 4 12:21:01 CST 2002

It's entirely possible that both the Marine Corps Marathon and the LA
Marathon sites are owned by LA Marathon Inc (the owner of the
lamarathon.com domain). Although this is the first example I've ever seen
of this, you could setup your own site's hostfile to point to one site when
the "www" prefix exists and a second site when it doesn't. It's like
setting up a subdomain, but in this case the subdomain is "www".

At 09:58 AM 11/4/2002 -0800, Chris W. Parker wrote:
>my boss just pointed out to me that http://lamarathon.com and
>http://www.lamarathon.com/ point to two separate websites.
>
>doesn't there have to be a dns entry for both domains? i.e.
>www.domain.com and domain.com are separate records correct?
>
>if this is true then it could possibly be clerical error as to why they
>are not pointing to the same website correct?
>
>if this is not true, what does that mean? there cannot be two separate
>owners on the same domain name, so i think the first case is true.

Howard Cheng
http://www.howcheng.com/ <-- NEW!
howcheng at ix dot netcom dot com
AIM: bennyphoebe