[thelist] Multi-user Access db - not web front end

Martin Paul Burns martin.burns at uk.ibm.com
Tue Nov 5 06:20:01 CST 2002

Here's the situation. I have a reasonably complex Access(2000) db which I
need to share amongst the small team (total: about a dozen people) here.

I've been following all my instructions about:
1) Making an .mde executable
2) Splitting the db into front end (queries, forms & reports) and linked
backend (tables).

All this works just peachy when it's on my machine. I now need to
distribute the front end to my colleagues and move the backend to a shared
server. The fun thing is telling the front end where the backend is...

a) Can I (and if so how do I) change the pointer in the frontend to the
location of the backend?
b) Can that backend be URL/IP address based? (we're on a mixed network of
laptops accessing over the Internet from several different organisations
plus a few inhouse desktops, so a simple shared fileserver in the
traditional Windows way probably won't work)

It'd be nice to have all this running with a Web front end, but
realistically, it's not going to happen in time.

Cheers
Martin