[thelist] Oracle "in" question & owed tip

Luther, Ron Ron.Luther at hp.com
Tue Nov 5 06:56:09 CST 2002

Hi Gang,

I have an ASP page where I have a query selecting data
from 7 different Oracle tables.

It's running fine; I'm getting 'correct' data and the
performance is acceptable.

Now I need to change one of the where conditions from
"Account_ID = '1234567890'" to
"Account_ID IN ('1234567890', '2345678901')".

It's killing the performance.

* Is that normal?
* Is there an alternative syntax that's known to have
better performance?

Thanks,

<tip type="using Oracle Hints and Optimizer with Brio" author="Ronl">

You can utilize Oracle hints and optimizer instructions with Brio.

[You can easily use them in ASP and other server-side languages,
but Brio is a gui report builder application so it might not be
as obvious that you can still use them.]

You'll need to add them as "computed items" to the Request Line.

You'll also need to drag them to the front of the line ... since
they have to be the FIRST selected item in order to be invoked.

<example>
Here is an example of the syntax to invoke the rule based optimizer:
computed item = "/*+rule*/1"

The generated SQL should look like "SELECT /*+rule*/1, field1, ....".
</example>

I hope that helps speed things up for you.

</tip>

RonL.