[thelist] Distributing Access front end

Martin Paul Burns martin.burns at uk.ibm.com
Tue Nov 5 09:15:00 CST 2002

Right, progress.

Thanks to the helpful
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/nhp/default.asp?contentid=28001718
I've found how to allow users to relink to another file with the standard
Windows open file dialogue if the db backend isn't in the right place,
which is all froody.

So I guess now I can put the backend anywhere accessible from the Windows
open file dialogue ie anywhere in the Workgroup. All I think I need now is
to be able to specify the default place.

Right now, it's looking within the directory where Access is installed:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ' Get name of directory where MSAccess.exe is located.
    strAccDir = SysCmd(acSysCmdAccessDir)

    ' Get the default sample database path.
    If Dir(strAccDir & "Samples\.") = "" Then
        strSearchPath = strAccDir
    Else
        strSearchPath = strAccDir & "Samples\"
    End If

    ' Look for the Northwind database.
    ' Yes, it's ripped out of the demo and I'm too lazy to change the label
above...
    If (Dir(strSearchPath & "SMT_be.mdb") <> "") Then
        strFileName = strSearchPath & "SMT_be.mdb"
So all I need to know is the format of the filepath that Access needs,
something like:
\\workgroup\machine\folder\path\to\file.mdb

Anyone know?

Cheers
Martin