[thelist] What shall we do with the W3C DOM?

Tom Dell'Aringa pixelmech at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 6 09:07:01 CST 2002

--- Peter-Paul Koch <gassinaumasis at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> In a recent article about the W3C DOM I surprised myself by writing
> some
> paragraphs that, on second reading, seem to promise a whole new way
> of
> designing and developing websites. I desperately need some second
> (and third
> and fourth) opinions on this idea. <snip>

ppk,

I for one think the idea has potential. But I think you have to build
some proof of concepts so we can see the thing in action.
Personalization is all over the web. I use Yahoo! constantly, and its
personalized for me - to a point. But not how you are speaking of it.

I think the problem you will run into is that building a effective
and usable UI is done by somebody who knows what that should be,
because they have training and experience in the field.

Joe user making his own navigation might think he's doing himself a
favor when he's not.

Anyway, I think that there is very possibly a balance to strike
between what you are suggesting while leaving the important bits to
the UI person.

A lot is going to depend on the content too. It seems the idea lends
itself to a portal of course, but how else would you use it?

Interested to see something...

Tom

=====
var me = tom.pixelmech.webDeveloper();