[thelist] What shall we do with the W3C DOM?

Luther, Ron Ron.Luther at hp.com
Wed Nov 6 09:17:01 CST 2002

Hi Peter,

Wassup?

I must be 'foggy' this morning. But if you're excited about
this, then I figure there must be something of substance here.

Can you take us a few years down the road here and give us
a story about this new kind of creature, what it's letting
folks do and where the value is?

My guess is that your taking a (possible) current 'trend' in
user control; sites today letting folks select between a few
alternative color schemes, pick your own colors.  Dynamic sites
that allow users to select the order, sort and subtotals of the
columns they bring back --- and extrapolating that to some
interesting conclusion.

My crystal ball must be on the fritz.

I'm not seeing these future web-thingies. What will they let users do?
Be able to drag elements around the screen to new positions and
'save' them there for future visits?  "Hide" elements or push things
off-screen that they don't want to see?  Cross-page drag-and-drop:
(I want to see your Investor Relations contact telephone number on
your main page along with you "deal of the week" .... which today
are all on separate pages?)   Or something else?

For some sites, (a research library reference site maybe), this might be
very valuable stuff.  Maybe for 'portal' sites too. But for an 'ordinary'
company, I'm not seeing the value.

RonL.