[thelist] Re:Client Side web page cursor control

Carol Stein techwatcher at accesswriters.com
Thu Nov 7 12:59:01 CST 2002

>Hey folks, is it possible to change the cursor of a visitor browsing a web
>page using either CSS or script?
>
>Ideally I would like to make it completely disappear, either way if you know
>of how to do this please could you tell ;)
>
>P.S. Please no rants about how you wouldn't visit my web page if I changed
>your cursor, this is a business site and merely a question for internal
>network use, thanks.

Um, unless your intranet is used only by HIGHLY sophisticated users, the first thing that would happen if you were able to make the cursor disappear is that tech support would be inundated by calls from irate folks claiming their machines just "froze!" Seriously, moving the mouse cursor is how most users know the machine is still "on" and not "broken." If you do figure out a way to blank the cursor, please at least consider putting a big sign on that page telling users their cursor will return if they do such & so. (-8

Cheers --
Carol