[thelist] Cookies across domains

Feingold Josh S Josh.S.Feingold at irs.gov
Fri Nov 8 09:06:00 CST 2002

> Is it possible to write a cookie to a client browser from one Domain
> and then read it from another?

If I understand things correctly, cookies can only be read for computers in
their domain.

For example: if you set a cookie in "example.com" it can be read in
"www.example.com."  However, this would not work vice-versa.

> For example, I have three sites - site1.domain.org and
> site1.domain.com and www.site2.domain.com and would like to be able
> to set and retrieve values from a single cookie that can be used
> across all the sites.

So in your example all three of the sites could not read each others
cookies.

I found this explaination which will allow you to share cookies between
sites, though.

http://www.softartisans.com/softartisans/techfour.html

By the way, I believe this trick is actually seen as a security violation.
However, I don't remember where I saw that. Or what the point was.

HTH,
Josh
http://www.efeingold.com