[thelist] who has Javascript turned off?

Peter-Paul Koch gassinaumasis at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 8 15:07:01 CST 2002

>Does anyone know of actual numbers out there, along the lines of
>browser/plug-in stats, on how many users have their Javascript turned
>off? It seems like a surprisingly high number of people on this list
>have it turned off (or say they do), and I'm wondering if this reflects
>the population as a whole or is just particular to this community.

I don't have numbers, but the 10-12 % that has been quoted seems to be the
common opinion of large stat sites. It's interesting to see that a year ago
these 'official' numbers were somewhat higher, about 15 to even 20 %.

However, I believe that these 10-12 % are mostly spiders which disguise
themselves as browsers.

Evolt certainly doesn't reflect the WWW-population as a whole. Example:
everyone on this list knows what JavaScript is, as opposed to an unknown but
no doubt abysmally small percentage of the WWW population as a whole. And
people who deliberately choose to turn JavaScript off (or to use Opera or to
do something else non-mainstream) tend to be rather vocal about it.

Personally, if I were forced to give a percentage, I'd suggest that about 1
to 3 % of WWW users doesn't have JavaScript (enabled).

ppk, freelance web developer
Interaction, copywriting, JavaScript, integration
http://www.xs4all.nl/~ppk/
Column "Keep it Simple": http://www.digital-web.com/columns/keepitsimple/
New: CSS Bugs in Internet Explorer 5 on Mac
http://developer.apple.com/internet/css/ie5cssbugs.html