[thelist] Javascript back button in a popup

Derry Talvainn derry at artema.com.au
Fri Nov 8 22:15:01 CST 2002

Hi all,

Back again with this client who insists on having terms and conditions
in a popup on entering the site with an "I accept" button before the
client can get full access.

I have:

put onblur=this.focus on the popup to force the user to read it

Put a self.close() in a function on the "I accept" button at the bottom
of the popup so that the user can get access to the full website if they
click on it

put in a script that reopens the window if the user tries to close the
window using the X in the corner of the popup.

(Okay this is all very annoying but the client wants it and I understand
his reasoning). The client understands this is not totally secure but he
is happy that it gets the message of not using the site without
accepting the conditions across.

Now I want to put an "I decline" button on the site that will send the
user back in history to the previous web page they were on before this
website. But when I use history.back() or history.go(-1) it doesn't work
within the popup (works fine if on the home page).

Does anyone have any idea about how to put a back button in a popup that
will take the user to the previous site they were on?

www.interretire.com

Derry Talvainn
Artema Interactive Design
Learn to respond, not react