[thelist] Naming Conventions and Workflow

Mary Howe maryhowe at swbell.net
Sat Nov 9 15:44:42 CST 2002

I use a convention that labels files by version and draft number.  So
storyboardV1D1.doc is the first draft of the first version of the
storyboard.  That version generally lasts through launch, unless it is
completely and totally reworked.  Every time I make an edit, I increment
the draft number.  So I might end up with storyboardV1D14.doc, which is
version 1, draft 14 (usually not that high, thank goodness).  I always
just take the highest numbered version as the latest (which avoids the
finalfinal issue).

For site folders, I always keep the name the same, but save with a date.
 So I have a site called Rick, which is the current site, as well as
Rick103102, Rick102602, Rick101802, etc.  When I'm done, I ditch most of
the backed up folders.

I also keep a folder for source items (such as storyboards, Word docs
that end up as pdfs, or chunks of text) for any site.  I name it
RickSource, so that it is alphabetized near Rick.

I hope other people answer this question.  I think there's no one right
way, but it's helpful to get ideas from others.

Mary

--
Mary Howe
Thunder Works, Inc.