[thelist] Naming Conventions and Workflow

Bruce Wilbur thelist at brucew.com
Sun Nov 10 07:58:01 CST 2002

Kevin wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm just wondering if anyone has any tips for working on continuous projects,
> be they websites or whatever.  Specifically regarding storage on your
> HardDrive/Network.

When I'm working on multiple projects I have the added problem of finding it hard to focus on client1 without jumping over to client2 if some crazed hairbrained thought pops into my head.

Since I've always used Windows NT/2K and now XP, I've solved that by setting up a separate user account on my PC for each client.

Thus, by virtue of the separate login, everything for each client is automagically separated, c:\documents and settings\client1, c:\documents and settings\client2, etc. Then I use a folder and filenameing scheme similar those described in this thread within each client's folder tree.

(Of course being such a smart guy, I also had to set security to restrict access by other "users" so I wouldn't just jump over anyway. When logged in as myself or administrator, I can copy or move files from one client account to another if conditions warrant. Yes, you can do some of this with Windows 9x, but since there's nothing preventing me from working on client1's stuff while logged in as client2, it's ineffective for me.)

This has the additional advantages of: 1) Automagically separating email accounts for each client/user name (because by default I set up a separate email account for myself on the each client's domain, thus keeping my private address private), 2) making it easy to archive a single client's files or to provide the client with all files pertaining to their projects, 3) forces me to make notes for later if client2 calls while I'm working on client1's project thereby enforcing separation in billable time. XP makes it easier to switch users without closing everything first (and losing my place, or worse, my work) if some emergency strikes, and 4) clients really like that I have procedures and tools in place to separate their stuff and their billable time from that of other clients and myself personally.

Disadvantages are: 1) Requires Windows NT/2K/XP and skills to configure and maintain accounts (not so hard as it sounds), 2) requires configuring Windows and each application for each user (tedious, but allows for different wallpapers and settings to keep me reminded of who gets billed for the present time), 3) requries self-discipline to not outsmart yourself, as in "maybe I should add adminstrative rights to client1's account" (the most difficult aspect of all this for me), and 4) requires checking mail separately for each client.

For me, the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages.  Your mileage may vary.

Yours,