[thelist] generating XML from MySQL tables

Diego Barcia webmaster at sci-web.com.ar
Mon Nov 11 11:00:18 CST 2002

Hi,

does anyone know how to generate XML automatically from a MySQL table, or
tables, or database, under Win98, or if is that possible?

I read an article here:
http://builder.com.com/article.jhtml?id=u00320020618dol01.htm, that says you
can use

mysqldump --xml databasename [tables]

to do that, but I get a syntax error from MySql (ERROR 1064)... Also, I
don't understand the syntax [tables] in that command. I guess if you have a
db called 'db' and a table called 'sales' you should write: mysqldump --xml
db [sales]? Or [tables] is optional? Or a complete list of tables in that
db? I tried many combinations.

I need to do it under Windows because I created and edited the database on
my working machine under Win, and then, if I upload it to the server (under
Unix), I cannot access the command line. The MySQL manual isn't much help.

Since I have very little experience working with the command line with
MySQL, I wanted to know if it's just that the feature isn't supported under
Windows or I'm doing something wrong.

Thanks,
Diego.