[thelist] Perl vs. Other tech

Tom Dell'Aringa pixelmech at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 12 13:41:55 CST 2002

--- "Plunkett, Matt" <MPlunkett at MSA.com> wrote:
> Perl vs PHP...trying to start a flame war? :P

LOL, no no - I truly am interested (as is my client) in the real
differences - and not just PHP but all similar tech.

> Perl isn't outdated, but it wasn't designed specifically for web
> sites.  If
> you're an expert PHP developer forced to use Perl, I can see you
> having some
> problems.  For me, I think a regexp mod to a string is much more
> powerful
> than a trim method.  And once you get your head around regexps,
> they open up
> lots of doors.

Right, which is why I noted that I realize Perl can be very powerful.
I'm more thinking in the ways they compare in building a fairly large
web site (or an application that runs via the Internet or an Intranet
like a web site).

When you say Perl wasn't specifically built for web sites, can you
give me some examples of its shortcomings? In a sense, that is what I
can see being on the newer tech's side - they were exactly built for
that.

Tom

=====
var me = tom.pixelmech.webDeveloper();