[thelist] which video format for clips on a site?

Kevin Isom kisom at diocesan.school.nz
Tue Nov 12 14:19:01 CST 2002

Hi Dunstan,

I would say offer them several ways. In Real Media, Windows Media and
Quicktime and maybe even Flash(the new Flash MX does video), as well as in
several strentghts for bandwidth. Between the big three you should cover a
major precentage of your users. And be sure to use markup to insert the
clips into a page to make sure the user is prompted to download any needed
plugin. My experiance with the formats is that they start to play when they
have downloaded enough to go. If you plan on doing lot's of streams, then
you may want to look at a dedicated server.
Cheers
Kevin

Dunstan Orchard Wrote:

>I have a client who wants to put video clips onto their site, taken from a
promotional video (VHS).